Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Uncle Carl




Hey all!
It has sure been a trying week. I lost an Uncle and a dear friend. His name is Carl Stephen Sybesma. He loved eagles, flowers, his farm, pond, and especially his wife and 4 children along with 8 grand children. His wife's name is Theresa and his children are Stephanie, Travis, Chad and Kelly. He was proceded in death by his father John Sybesma, his mom Jeannette Sybesma, his father-in-law John Anderson, and his daughter Kelly Soo Sybesma.
Carl was such a good friend to me. I took photos for him, hung out at his house, planted flowers with him, and fished at his pond with him. Most of the time though we just chatted in his house. When I found out he was sick I was devestated. He told me to raise my kids in a Christian home and to love them with all his heart like he loves his kids. He also told me that no one could ever replace Kelly, but I was as good as a daughter to him.
About two weeks ago the cancer took over. Carl got extremely ill and we found out he would not make it. I saw him one last time in the hospital. He wasn't able to speak or even respond. I could tell he was in a lot of pain. I am a person who can talk anyone's ears off, but sitting there with Carl, holding his hand, I was speechless. I told him that I loved him and just sat there in silence with him. I could tell there were others waiting to see him, so I said goodbye and got up to leave and he squeezed my hand as if he didn't want me to go. So I didn't. I stayed there and he squeezed my hand again, he opened one of his eyes and I told him that I would raise my kids in a Christian home, and that I would try and love them even a small percentage as he loves his kids.
Carl was a great man, I love him, I will miss him, but most of all, he has changed my life forever.

No comments: