Sunday, August 15, 2010

I made a very bad choice... and it wasn't milk

 This is my face right now... Do you know why? Its either because...

A. I was crying a lot and am very sad because something very horrible happened...
B. I was chopping onions, or Kyle chopped onions (I have very severe reactions to that)
C. I just ate something spicy, which also means I just ate something that had a little too much pepper on it
D. I decided to make Banana Bread


Well?



... Yes it was the Banana Bread ...

I am allergic to bananas. But sadly, this isn't why my eyes look like this. My allergy only has to do with ingesting bananas, and it isn't even severe enough to cause any harm. I just get a little sick.

Today I wanted to make cookie dough. This isn't out of the ordinary. I make cookie dough every week. I put it in the fridge after I'm done making it. Then, whenever I have a craving, I put one cookie in the oven and eat it. But usually I just take a spoonful of dough and eat that. This has become a problem for Kyle because if its there, he will eat it. I go through a whole batch of cookie dough weekly.

So when I threw a stick of butter in the mixer today he looked at me and said, "what are you doing?" in the most disapproving tone he could muster up. To cover my tracks I said "making banana bread!" He had been talking about me making that for weeks and I knew he was really excited about it. However, banana bread doesn't require an entire stick of butter.

He walked back into the living-room and I finished making my cookie dough. I cleaned out the mixing bowl and then pulled out the banana bread recipe. If I said I was making banana bread and he didn't get any banana bread treats he might get kind of curious to what I was actually doing. After I was halfway through putting this mix together I realized that we didn't have enough flour. I climbed onto the countertop so I could reach the top shelf of our cupboards looking for more when I found our wheat flour.  "This will work, and Kyle loves being healthy so he will love that I used this because I was thinking of him!"


So I hopped back down and threw that in the mix along with the cup of regular flour I had left. After I put it together I followed the directions and put it in the oven at 350 and put the timer on for 60 minutes. As I was waiting I watched some HGTV and got myself all revved up for being an adult and buying a house someday.... someday... I worked on my computer, edited some pictures, worked on my album, and facebook'd simultaneously when something crept up on me.






I had no idea that anything was going on until my eyes started doing this...



I'm allergic to smoke and it makes my eyes do that. I had to put my head under the faucet for a little bit to wash my eyes out enough for me to be able to open them.

I pulled the banana bread out of the oven and took the tinfoil off. It looked absolutely fine... it was just breathing smoke. We opened the window and then the smoke alarm went off. I took the box fan and held it above my head towards the smoke alarm to make it stop.

I made a very bad choice, I will never try and make Banana Bread with wheat flour ever again.

No comments: